Monday, November 17, 2014

Social Security Disability

I talked to my case worker today.  He has been out with pneumonia for two weeks, and not much has happened.  I pressed him to check with my neurologist and get a decision made.  If I considered disabled, my employer will want to start looking for a replacement.  If not, I am going to have to figure out how to get my work done with only working left hand.  Perhaps I can borrow one from my Social Security case worker.  In the meantime, I am training a neighbor as a machinist for ScopeRoller, and writing a science fiction novel, one that will be to science fiction what Quo Vadis? was to historical fiction.

7 comments:

  1. looking forward to the novel, Clayton. are you going to do it as an indie book on Kindle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did that last year, and it turned out well. You already have a built-in audience, so should do even better. Keep us posted, and when it is launched, some free advertizing will help kick it up the Amazon charts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you need any help with that, I've done it too.

    Okay, once. It was tricky.

    But won't royalties mess up your disability payments if you make too much?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can make up to $1000 month without impairing disability payments, and I can't picture being that successful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. $1000/mo? Amazon has a very generous policy for paying indie writers. Let's say you price at $2.99, which would net you about $2/book. Sell 500 and there you are. Not really that hard if you have a good product and your friends kick in with help pushing the book, and giving it good reviews when it first comes out. Add in a possible insta-launch...
    Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not been terribly impressed with the results so far. Perhaps fiction will sell better.

    ReplyDelete